Where is the Muskegon YMCA?
- 1/16/2017-Meeting with cancer survivors at the Johnson Family Cancer Center in preparation for expanding the LIVESTRONG at the YMCA program we just launched this past October.
- 12/28/2017-Find out where we've been as well as where we're headed by reading our Year In Review. If you haven't received your copy, email email@example.com and we'll make sure you're on the list.
- 12/19/2016-We are promoting a Healthy Muskegon through 1in21's Community Update!
More than just an address, we are an Association of people. People -- our members, volunteers and staff -- have always been the heart and soul of our YMCA. We come from all walks of life and share a passion for strengthening the foundations of our community and achieving health in spirit, mind and body.
The people of Muskegon benefit more as we partner with others in locations throughout the community. What's most important is that YMCA programs designed to build a healthy future for Muskegon continue to serve and grow while assisting those who need them most.
This approach is not uncommon; nearly 200 YMCAs in the U.S. do not have a fitness facility - 5 in Michigan alone.
Specifically, we’re focused on key health issues in Muskegon. We continue to offer and expand:
- Safety Around Water aka Pool School teaching over 1,000 third graders throughout the county about water safety, water rescue, rip currents, and ice rescue – a critical need in a community built around water.
- Chronic Disease Prevention Programs addressing some of Muskegon’s most pressing health needs like diabetes prevention, arthritis management, blood pressure management, and post-cancer fitness programs.
- Youth Outreach including the Summer Evening Recreation Program fighting the causes of childhood obesity through physical activity and nutrition coaching and teach life skills and the YMCA values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, and Responsibility.
- Nutrition Programs in partnership with the Grand Rapids YMCA. Our Cooking Matters and Nutrition in Action program teach over 2,500 kids and adults about healthy eating including reading food labels, cooking fast healthy meals and shopping for healthy food on a budget.
- Employee Wellness outreach to help members of the community improve their health future through exercise coaching and on-site classes, nutrition education, counseling, and information resources.
- Seaway Run as a vital partnership with Muskegon’s 1 in 21.
Rather than convincing people to come to us, we address current community health and wellness needs where they are most prevalent. Through these programs we can help make our community a better place to live.
YMCA Camp Pendalouan will continue to offer high caliber programs that generations of families have enjoyed and come to expect for nearly a century.
Program goals will be even more closely aligned with community outreach initiatives as we embrace the health and safety resources available to us.
The Muskegon YMCA is uniquely capable of making an impact on the health and wellness of our entire community and that is the path we are on. We don’t need a specific building or set of walls – just the passion, people, and commitment to join us in building a healthy future for Muskegon.
For a Better Us
The Muskegon YMCA serves as the champion of Healthy Living, Social Responsibility and Youth Development.
To put Judeo-Christian principles into practice through programs that build healthy spirit, mind and body for all.